Sunday, August 23, 2009

Week One


After a long flight last Sunday-Monday we made it to Bujumbura. It feels great to finally be here! No more waiting, or preparing, the time is here. I traveled with two other SALTers  (Robyn and Yolanda) who will also be working in Bujumbura. It has been nice making this transition with them.

We spent this last week staying with the MCC reps, and they have been doing an orientation with us by showing us important places, introducing us to people we need to know, and going over things like finances.  Tomorrow, Monday, we will head up country and stay with another MCC worker for a week. The plan is to have us experience a different part of Burundi, and to kick start our learning of Kirundi (the national language).  After we get back we will move in with our host families, start working with our organizations, and begin language lessons.

This week we went to the city center, visited the market, we met our host families, met language tutors, and visited the organizations that we will be working with. We also got the opportunity to swim in lake Tanganyika yesterday! It has been a very full week and there is a lot to process.   


I had the opportunity on Thursday to spend a few hours at the radio station that I will be working for.  They also have a recording studio that is almost fully functional, and I am excited to be part of the process.  I think that I will spend most of my time with the studio because that is where my experience is, but WOI (the organization I am working for) has not discussed that with me yet. 

Cons: agonizingly slow internet

Pros:  fresh mangos, avocados, bananas, and pineapples!

I will do my best to keep you updated on all the new developments! 

0 comments: