Tuesday, December 22, 2009

slow week

I’ll have to say that this last week was a little slow. It may have been slow because I was thinking about our weekend trip to Rwanda the week before and looking forward to our trip to Tanzania. This week we are heading just south of the Burundian border to a town called Kigoma, and nearby there is a park where we can hopefully see chimpanzees.


This is our papaya tree. Sadly there is only one little papaya growing on it.

I was hanging up my laundry this week and I noticed that our spiky plant along the wall was beginning to flower. Upon further investigation I discovered that it is actually a pineapple growing in the center! Our cook looked at me like I was crazy for taking pictures of the plants in the backyard, but I think it is exciting.


A number of other plants have surfaced recently in previously bare areas of the yard. There are beans, corn, tomatoes, and a few other things that I can’t identify. Something I really enjoy about Bujumbura is the use of space. In random little corners of neighborhoods, and even just on the side of the street, people have little plots of land where they are growing their crops.



At work not much has been happening. We finished a project for a choir, but other than that not a lot to do. It’s a little discouraging sometimes because I want to be accomplishing something, or progressing toward a goal. I know there is a lot that our little studio can accomplish, but it’s just not happening. I’m hoping that this upcoming vacation will be refreshing and that when I come back I will have new motivation and some creative ideas.

0 comments: