Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Studio and omlete




I am writing this blog under the safety of my mosquito net. As soon as the sun goes down those little demons are after me. And for some reason they always bite me on my feet/ankles and on my elbows, it is very annoying. But it is a little humorous that I wear mosquito repellent while indoors.

I mentioned in my last posting that we are working on recording a song for an r&b type band. We recorded the instrumentalist, the back up vocalists, the lead female and tomorrow the solo guitarist. Then I will mix everything and hopefully we will have something good. Mixing is probably my favorite part of the recording process because I get the chance to be a little creative. Actually, for this project Im also programming all of the drums and percussion, and they want me to add some sort of violin part to the mix as well, so we will see if that turns out.

I made an interesting observation on Sunday while eating out for lunch. I went to this little café called Cappuccino in town. I was the
only one in this café, probably because it was Sunday and most Burundian services last longer than the one that I attend. It felt strange being in this café because I felt as if I could be in the US. The seating was comfortable, the presentation of the food was nice, my omelet and coffee were great, there was a flat screen tv playing music videos, and a Michael Jackson album was playing in the
background. Then I looked out the window and saw the Burundian flag blowing in the wind and the street below almost un- drivable with potholes. My observation was this:

Not very many Burundians could eat in this restaurant. It wasn’t expensive, I got a large omelet for 3 US dollars, and that was the deluxe version. It was a strange realization that I have the opportunity to eat in a restaurant that many people could never afford to eat in. I am a volunteer, I don’t get paid, and I can afford to eat here. Many people in Burundi, and all over world, live on less than 2 dollars a day. I don’t know if I could ever understand what it would be like to be in their situation.


0 comments: