Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Buj Wedding



This last week was bad for internet connections. Thankfully last Monday I could post because I didn’t have much luck the rest of the week. Even on Sunday when I went to a café their connection wasn’t working. Oh well what can you do.

Thankfully we have power today! I about wet myself with excitement when the lights came on.


I can now post about the wedding I attended last week.




The wedding was similar to a western wedding, there is no doubt that Burundians adopted the western way. The minister gave a message and the couple exchanged vows and rings. It was funny when the couple was exchanging their vows because they were swarmed by the paparazzi. A group of guys with cameras and video cameras surrounded the couple so that we couldn’t even see them while they were exchanging vows.



The couple and everyone then drove off to the reception. At the reception there were the Burundian drummers and the toasts.






The day after the wedding there is another ceremony called levea de voile. At this ceremony the two families meet at the newly married couple’s home.

The bride’s family comes together and enters with gifts.




There are toasts and each side says how appreciative they are of each other. Then the musicians sing some songs and then we all go home.



I was told that there used to be many more ceremonies in Burundi. One of the previous presidents did away with some of them because the people were always drinking and eating. It sounds pretty great to me.









0 comments: